Monday, May 25, 2009

I'm Back

I know it’s been a few days since the last time I’ve updated!  I went to China for a few days and wasn’t able to blog.  I thought it would be a lot to try to write one post, so I’ve decided to break up the past few days into a couple of posts so it’s so overwhelming!!

I went to school with one of the teachers here to get a feel for what it will be like.  She is in an Elementary School like I will be.  The students cracked me up… they weren’t quite sure what to think with 2 foreigners in their room!  They would say hello and wave really quick and then start giggling with their friends.  You sort of feel like a minor famous person… you know like a news anchor or something!  I think I’m really going to enjoy it.  I’ll only have a class for 40 minutes so there will be a lot to do in that short time.  I’m so glad I got to visit her classroom though b/c it helped to get a visual of what it’s going to be like. 

It’s been fun just walking around and getting more acclimated with the city I’m in.  I was walking across campus and a student stopped me and said Hello.  I said hi back and we had a short conversation.  They say that will happen b/c they just want to practice their English with you. 

I also passed a group of students playing a game where they would stand behind a line and kick their shoes and see who can kick the farthest.  It was funny to see and there was a pretty big group gathering around to watch it. 

My body is still trying to get used to the whole time change.  The second morning I was here I woke up at 5.30 am and could not go back to sleep.  The third morning I woke up at 4.30 am and could not go back to sleep.  It’s like I hit a wall in the mid afternoon and I’m done for.  I truly feel like an infant.  Whenever I get into a motorized vehicle I automatically fall asleep.  I need a nap during the day and I have a bedtime.  When I’m hungry I get a bit cranky and sick feeling if I don’t eat soon. 
And then, I have to rely on other people to help me with things b/c I have no idea where anything is! 

I did find another food that I like.  It’s called Kim Bop.  It’s seaweed with rice and vegetables in the middle.  They are like California rolls in the states.  Love them… this will soon become one of my staple foods! 

I feel like I am adjusting well.  Things are quite a bit different, but a good different!

No comments:

Post a Comment