Sunday, October 11, 2009

Happy Cheseok!

It is officially fall here in Korea! The weather is amazing and the days are beautiful! The air is crisp and even has a slight chill to it at times. It reminds me of home more often then not. I’ve been starting my days off with a hot cup of tea! Mmm… have I told you I just LOVE fall?!?

Two weeks ago Korea celebrated Chuseok. This is their Thanksgiving. They spend time with family and give presents during this time. Most women don’t care too much for this holiday b/c they spend most of the time at their in-laws and are super busy b/c all they do is cook! (This is nothing like America… yeah right! J) This is one of the biggest holidays in Korea. I decided to make my teachers something instead of buying them something (imagine that, right?!?) I decided to try banana bread! Wow, I made 12 loaves of bread… it was crazy, but fun! They seemed to like it (that’s rally good b/c they usually don’t’ like ‘sweets.’) They give gifts like fruit, socks, or soaps & lotions. I got socks, songpyeon (traditional Korean rice cakes) and chestnuts!

I had a 3 day weekend and decided to take this time to rest! It was amazing… jut what I needed! Campus was dead b/c all the students were gone and it was so peaceful. A few of us made “Brinner” (breakfast for dinner) and had our own version of Chuseok dinner. We also had a BBQ with foreigners for those of us who were still around! Traffic on Thursday and Friday was terrible… I didn’t leave campus! But on Saturday it was like a ghost town! Everyone was celebrating Chuseok with their families. My Vice Principal brought me mandarins on Monday as a gift! It was a fun experience!

When I returned to school on Monday, I had a new schedule. I had to say goodbye to my 3rd graders! That was a sad day! They were so cute and sweet. Some of them wrote me notes and gave me candy! Thankfully I am on their hall, so I will still get to see them. In March, the next school year begins, so I will have them again in March as 4th graders. I started teaching 4th graders this week. I was anzious to get started! They are definitely crazier then my 3rd graders were, but I think they’ll be a fun group! I’m looking forward to teaching them!

I was going through picture cards with my student and I came across a picture of juice in a glass and I said, “What’s this?” and one of my boys says, “It’s wine!” What?!? Like I would show Elementary school kids wine and teach them what it was. Oh Korea!

I have more and more students coming in early or during their breaks to talk to me! It’s fun and so cute to hear them try to practice their English! They are brave souls! Sometimes I’ll give them a sticker or some candy for being brave and trying! The numbers usually increase the next day. J There are definitely a few students who speak better English then my teachers do. The other day my head teacher was trying to say something and se what saying it completely wrong. I looked over at one of the students who is pretty good at English and I could see his wheels turning and thinking “She’s not saying that correct.” He was very respectful though and said nothing!

I am still playing volleyball with the teachers. We play about every other week. This week was a lot of fun though. I was hitting outside and the guy on the other side of the net is about 6’3”. So, he had a pretty good block. There was one time where hime and another guy tried to bock me and I hit through the block. One of the teachers on my team (the PE teacher who I really like) started talking smack on them. He was giving them a hard time, in Korean of course, for not being able to block me! (I could totally understand what he was saying b/c of this body language and tone.) I had to laugh. Then the guy did block me and the teacher gave him a hard time for blocking a girl! He said to me after the block, “Oh, I’m sorry!” (He was serious!!!) Ha, I love that “smack talk” can be translated in any language! I’m so thankful that I have this opportunity to connect with the teachers AND do something that I love! God knew I needed this!

We recently found an American restaurant downtown. It’s pretty legit too. A little expensive, but it’s good! I had a real chicken sandwich! This may not sound like a big deal, but it is! Ask anyone who’s lived overseas for an extended period of time. And they will all say you treasure those small things, like a real American meal! It’s funny b/c the more I live in Korea, the more I don’t care too much for the food! I’ll survive, but I always welcome familiarity and comfort food! We also found this pizza shop, right by campus! They have real oven brick pizzas! It’s so good, I’d actually eat this pizza in America. The owner studied in Italy. We eat there about 1 time every week or two. It’s definitely the place I go to if I’m having a day where I miss home… it’s my comfort food!

I have really been enjoying my small group. We have been going through NOOMA videos and we’ve had some great discussions. This is a place to be challenged and encouraged! There are about 11 or 12 of us that meet and it’s really great! I’m so thankful for this group! IT’s amazing to me the types of relationships you can have when you connect spiritually with other believers. I encourage everyone to find a small group if you aren’t already a part of one. This is what we were created for—fellowship with others.

I also had the opportunity to get together with a lady from church. Her and her husband both went to MNU and they are from Kansas City. It was great to get together with someone from home and talk about life! She was very encouraging. It reminds me yet again what a small world this place truly is!

I definitely had a moment this week of “Is this really my life?” Yes, it is! I currently live half way around the world and I’m having a once in a lifetime opportunity! I have good days and I have bad days! But I’m growing and learning so much! There are days I wish I could sit and enjoy a football game on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. There are times I want to get in my car and just drive on the open road. There are definitely days I wish I could go to Chipotle and have a burrito bowl. And there are more days then not I wish I could just hang out with my nieces for the day! But I can’t and that’s okay! There are many things I’m able to do over here that I couldn’t do at home. Life isn’t always about convenience! It’s the things you have to work for that you treasure the most! I miss my family and friends terribly, but I’m having quite the adventure! I wouldn’t trade this time for anything!

1 comment:

  1. It made me smile to see that your group is watching the NOOMA videos, b/c Andy and I just joined a 20-somethings small group at our church that is doing the same thing! Small world :)

    ReplyDelete