Friday, October 16, 2009

Week in Review

It’s the end of another week. Fridays keep coming faster and faster. Is it really already the middle of October… where does time go?? There’s only 70 days until Christmas… have you started your shopping yet? I’m almost finished… does that surprise you?!? J

Well, this week was a laid back week for me. I didn’t have to plan any lessons. I gave a test the first 2 days and we watched movies the other 3 days. Let’s see, I have the first 30 minutes of Kung Fu Panda, Stuart Little, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The one I’ve actually seen all the way through is Stuart Little. The suspense is killing me… I’ve gotta finish them! For some reason I’ve been craving chocolate the past few days… Oh Wonka!

Thankfully school has been a lot less stressful lately. I actually enjoy getting up and going to work. It always helps when you like what you do! It doesn’t just feel like a “job” to me! I think it’s mostly b/c of my kids! They’re always entertaining!

One of my 6th grade boys does not speak English, well a lot of them don’t actually. But this boy always comes in to my room early to talk me. It doesn’t always go smoothly! He has leaned one statement that is golden and he uses it all the time—“I am a genius!” (Actually he says, “I am genius!” Which makes it even funnier in my opinion!) You’ve gotta give him credit for trying!

This week we played volleyball again. Man, I had the ad realization this week that I’m not as young as I once was! It’s been cooler here recently. Thy gym was a bit frigid when we started, so it was difficult to get warm. I was the only hitter on my team and we played games. I hit in 5 1/2 of those games. My shoulder was a bit sore after that. My knees were killing me too whenever I walked down the stairs. I was so stiff the next day! Sad, sad day… I’m getting old!

A few of my 6th grade boys came to watch b/c their teacher plays. It was too cute, they got so nervous when I tried to talk to them. It’s funny thought b/c normally, especially in class, he talks to me often. He has pretty good English too. I think he got nervous b/c there were other teachers around.

We finished up the games for the day. We got in a lot of games thorugh. It was real fun! “Talking smack” was at its finest too! After the game, I went to help take down the net like I do every week. One of the guys said, “No Becky, I will do this. In Korea men work. You are finished.” I tried again, but didn’t want to push the issue. He’s such a gentleman.

As I was leaving that day, I met up with the 2 boys who were watching us play. They asked if I was driving or taking the bus. I obviously said the bus and he said “Me too!” We started walking to the bus stop together. He told me to wait as he rain in to the convenient store. I knew my bus was coming soon, but I decided to wait b/c they were acrually speaking English to me. About the time we started walking again, I see the #12 bus fly by (which is my bus)! I ended up having to wait like 10 or 15 minutes for the next bus, but that’s okay! I was just proud of the boys for talking to me!

I got to attend this super fun conference this week on teaching TESOL (**Please note this statement if FULL of sarcasm even though you can’t hear me saying it!)!! I survived, got some good ideas, got to see all the other Native Speaking teachers and got a free meal (Korean meal, but that’s okay)… trying to look at the positives!

Overall, this has been a good week! The weather has been amazing. Well, except for Tuesday night when it poured a cold rain along with a thunderstorm! Those are fun every once in awhile though! It’s been sunny, cool, and gorgeous! I’m going hiking this weekend, so hopefully I have some pictures soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment