Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Case of the Mondays

It doesn't matter where you are in the world, Mondays still come!  I was actually looking forward to this Monday!  I had it all planned out in my head... yeah you know where this story is going!  I woke up and gave myself plenty of time to get ready b/c I know how Monday mornings can be.  I found out that my nieces were waiting at my parents to talk to me on skype (this time with video chat)!  So, of course I had to stop what I was doing and call them!  This was the first time I've seen them since I left!  Through my schedule off, but well worth the adjustment!  It was so good to see them!
 
We have this really great bakery across from campus called Paris Baquette.  It is phenomenal!  I decided on Sunday night that I would have this for breakfast on my way to school.  I skipped breakfast and headed out the door.  I felt like I was salivating as I was walking.  I walk into the bakery and there is nothing there!  (I thought they had already ran out by 8:20am.  I found out later though, that it hadn't even been put out.  If I want something in the morning, I have to get it the night before... seriously?!?)  I was so disappointed!  So, I had to settle for McDonald's breakfast--it was good, but not great!  I got it and headed to the bus stop.  This morning, I got on at the 2nd bus stop instead of the 1st b/c it's closer to the bakery.  So, I waited and waited and waited some more!  This is the longest I've ever waited for the bus.  One of the other Native Teachers walked by and I noticed she was carrying a pastery!  I was so bummed... I forgot about this new bakery that opened up right across the street!  Oh well, there's always other mornings!  The bus finally got there (some people got tired of waiting, so they decided to jump into a cab)!  I got on and all of the seats were taken, except for one in the very back corner!  The bus is NEVER that full in the mornings (it's b/c he was late!!)  I climbed in the back, but I was so nervous that I would miss my stop b/c I still wasn't 100% sure where my stop was!  People kept piling on and piling on.  There was litterally not one extra spot.  People were standing everywhere, but they kept jamming them in!  My stop was quickly approaching so I got up and stepped over the gentleman next to me.  I could barely reach the button, but got it pushed in time.  Then, I had to literally push myself through the aisle to get off!  It was chaos!
 
Oh Monday mornings how I love thee!!  I knew it was going to be a great day though b/c I didn't have to teach today!  The students were taking tests all day, so I just sat in my classroom.  I was tempted to wear jeans today since I didn't have to teach... boy am I glad I didn't do that!  My teacher comes in and tells me that I'm going to start meeting with my principal weekly.  I wasn't sure if this was normal or if I was in trouble!  It would not have been good if I was in jeans meeting him!!  We went to his office and got us 2 bottles to drink.  It ended up being Vitamin C, which was actually perfect b/c I've been sick!  They talked for about 5 minutes or so and then we left!  He smiled at me when I got there and when I left... so I assumed I wasn't in trouble!  Koreans don't really use emotion when they speak and their faces stay the same.  He was stone cold as he was talking!  I survived!
 
The day was very refreshing!  It was great to have some time to myself!  I've started bring my bible to work so that I can do my devotions here and hopefully start some conversations with my teachers.  God reminded me of his unconditional love and his presence was so real to me in that moment!  "My cup runneth over!"  It was such a great moment and that carried me throughout the rest of my day!
 
I'm beginning to think on Mondays, we have to go to the Nurse's Office after lunch (she's my teachers' friend).  The past 2 weeks we have gone there and sat and talked.  Which this is fine, but definitely a bit awkward sometimes.  They all talk in Korean and I just set there.  Then I'll hear my name and know they are totally talking about me!  Oh well!!  So, I was trying to make small talk and I asked them where I could get a plant or a small flower.  I do really want one, but I was more or less just trying to find something to talk about.  They talked in Korean for a bit and then my other teacher said, I will take you to get one.  I said okay.  Then she said, I only have time on the weekends and went and got a calendar.  She told me she'd take me on Sunday.  This should be fun!!
 
My other teacher brought me in a toothbrush and toothpaste after lunch.  She told me that I need to brush my teeth after lunch and it was 'her pleasure to give me this.'  Which it is good b/c their food definitely had a 'distinct' smell!  I just thought it was quite comical that she would bring me this!  I guess my mom would be proud that I'm brushing my teeth after lunch!
 
In the afternoon, I was trying to get some lesson plans done!  Tuesday is the first day I'm going to teach by myself!  Of course, I wait until the afternoon to do this... did you expect any different?  So, I'm working on my plans and the phone rings.  I decide to answer it and see what happens!  It was a teacher who wanted to come down and practice her English.  I told her sure.  She came down and we talked for about 20 minutes.  This can prove to be difficult!  Trying to find questions to ask that are easy enough to get answered but aren't just one word answers was a little tricky.  At first I wasn't really in it, b/c I knew I had all this stuff to do!  But, the Lord so gently reminded me that this is why I am here!  Relationships are important, not to-do lists!  I could finish this stuff at home tonight if I needed to!  So we ended up having a great conversation!  She's actually pretty good at English!
 
My head teacher had left early to go order some books.  She said she might come back, but she might not!  The school was dead and I was so tempted to leave early!  I'm SO GLAD I resisted!  My teacher came back and told me that my principal wanted to introduce me in this meeting he was in.  It was for the Head Teachers in the school and the Head Parents... important people!  That could have been so bad!  We went and I opened with 'Hello' in Korean!  They gave me a loud round of applause!  They loved it!  I gave my spill and the teacher tranlated!  The principal leans over and tells the guy at the head of the table something and I see him smile and look right at me!  He gestured 'setting' the ball and 'hitting' the ball for volleyball.  I shook my head yes and he was like oh!!  I so wish that I could have a hidden camera on my shirt during the days!  You guys would love this entertainment!!
 
I finally called it a day and headed home!  I went to dinner with some friends and I said I wanted "cheap and fast" food.  Of course, we ended up not cheap and definitely not quick!  We went to a Vietnamese Restaurant!  It was actually very tasty and I was glad I went!  Food and Fellowship--great combination!
 
So, I realized that God was teaching me a lesson today... go figure! It's okay to have a schedule, but it's important to be flexible!  You never know what He is going to put in your path and it can be so easy to miss it b/c we're focused somewhere else!  I love it when I can look back and see what he wast trying to get through to me... and to know that I didn't miss it!!  It's all about our experiences and the moments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment