Monday, June 1, 2009

Field Trips Aren't Just For Kids!

I know, I know... I've been such a slacker the past couple of days!  I'll break this up so it's not so overwhelming!  The other day I was looking at my blog and realizing how long each entry was... sorry about that!  i guess i don't speak a lot of English throughout the day, so that I just spew it all out here... hope you don't mind! :)  And, Koreans don't really like stories!  They just like you to get to the point, so I'm definitely having to adjust to that!!

 

On Saturday, we (all of the teachers in my program) went on a field trip!  It was great b/c I got to meet all of the teachers!  We drove for about 2 or 3 hours to Jeonju City.  I noticed that South Korea is green, once you get out of the city!  It was refreshing to see trees and water!!  We went to the paper museum.  I got to make my own sheet of paper!  They had some really cool things all made out of paper!  (Check out the pictures below!)  It was quite comical b/c we were on a tight time schedule!  They didn't really let us take our time to look.  They kept saying, okay, let's go to the next room!  Which I think is very interesting, b/c they are a very patient culture! 

This city is known for 2 things: fans and bimimbop (a type of food).  We had lunch at a well-known bimimbop restaurant.  I was disappointed b/c I was having one of those days when I just wasn’t feeling Korean Food.  There was tons of stuff in front of me, but I just didn’t feel like trying anything new!  I was talking to one of the teachers about that and was asking if that was normal.  She said it totally was and some of the best advice she got was from another teacher who told her she needs to listen when her body is telling her that.  It’s okay that you just want American food!  I ate some of the stuff, I just didn’t have a big appetite for that!

Then, we went on a guided tour of the city.  It was neat to see the different parts.  I’m not exactly sure what it was all about… I was a little confused!!  They had pictures of old Kings, I think?!?  I know, that’s not too good of me, but oh well!  I think I got some good pictures!!

On the way home, we stopped at this gas station for a break and I found a DR. PEPPER!!  You don’t understand… they don’t have that here regularly!  It was such a treat!  I also treated myself to a Snickers Bar since I didn’t eat much at lunch… it was fantastic!!

Oh, and I forgot to tell you that all day, the whole group had on matching shirts!!  Not only do we stand out b/c we are Weguks (foreigners) but we all match!  Gotta love Korea!  The funny thing is, here boyfriends and girlfriends where the matching shirts… it’s like telling everyone that they’re taken.  We call it ‘same, same.’  It’s too great!

 

That night some teachers asked if I wanted to go to dinner and I told them no thank you b/c I wasn’t feeling Korean food that day!  They told me they were going to Pizza Hut… I totally went!!  It was fun.  We went downtown again and walked around for a bit.  One of the teachers lives down there, so we went to his apartment to hang out.  He lives on the 19th floor and overlooks the entire city… it was amazing!!  We set out on the balcony and had quite an enjoyable evening!

The next day (Sunday) I went to church for the first week!  It was really cool.  It was the day of Pentecost, so we read through Acts 2.  But, the pastor had it read in 9 different languages!  Almost all of the people who read, read in their native languages!  I truly am going to an International Church!  It was so neat to hear that!  We had a potluck after church… gotta love those things, you never know what you’re eating!  I met a few people and had an enjoyable time!

The rest of the afternoon I cleaned (Side note: My room used to be a guys room.  I’m learning that even clean boys aren’t technically clean!) and got my lesson plans ready for my first day of school!  The weekend was good… just not long enough!!  It’s definitely an adjustment living in a real city!



I'm making my own paper:




These are all made out of the paper I made:



This is for Brooke & Brylie:







Jeonju City:







I thought this was too funny!  This is a bar of soap hanging in the bathroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment