Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hello Becky Teacher!

I spent my day with 6th graders… hormones that their best right there!  They are definitely at an ornery stage in life… but I LOVE it!  They can be a handful, but they can also be a blast!  There were a few students who knew English pretty well.  They introduced themselves and told me about their hobbies.  Then one by stood up and said, “Hello, my name is (I have no idea what he said!) and I love you, I love you, I love you!”  Of course, the class goes crazy and the teacher said, he can’t really speak English!  Ha… it was so great!  One boy told me he was going to be a fashion designer when he grew up and a girl told me she was going to be a dentist.  I was very impressed!  The Korean Teacher just kept telling me that 6th grade is crazy!  I kind of liked them! J

She got ticked at one of the classes and called up the teacher.  He had to come down to the English room.  It was so funny b/c all the kids got right in check when they saw him!  (He’s young and kind of cute so I didn’t mind him having to come down for a bit! J)  They all started answering questions and stayed in line the whole time!

I’ve had most of the grades by now, so every time they see me, it’s “Hello Becky Teacher,” or just “hi!”  I can’t go down the hall without having to say hello about 20 or 30 times.  Like I said before, there’s only 1 American toilet, but it’s on the first floor.  I have to walk down and up 4 flight of stairs every time I have to go… but so worth it!!  So, every time I have to use the restroom I have to say hello about 50 times!  Gotta love it!  It’s the same way in the cafeteria!  Students will just come and stand by you until you acknowledge them or they’ll yell at you from the across the lunchroom!  It’s so great… an experience, but great!

The vice principal is so cute!  He’s always worrying about me!  He’ll check in with my teacher to make sure I’m doing okay or I’m enjoying my day or the school or whatever.  Well today, he told my teacher that he was worried I might be missing my family and that I was homesick.  It’s so sweet of him to worry about me!  Everyone has been so nice to me so far!

This afternoon I taught a class for the teachers.  I think I’m really going to enjoy this!  I taught them basic ‘hello’ statements and ‘goodbye’ statements.  They keep telling me to slow down… I don’t think I’m going that fast!  I was giving an explanation about something and at the end I asked, “Do you understand?”  The room was silent!  I’ll take that as a no!  I’m looking forward to getting to know the teachers better through this class!  On Wednesdays I can connect with the male teachers through volleyball and on Thursdays I can connect with the female teachers during English class.  (There were 3 guys who came today though.  The Vice Principal was one of them… talk about feeling like you have to bring your ‘A’ game!)  I’m loving this experience!

My teachers have asked me to go to a movie with them tomorrow night after school!  This is very exciting, b/c usually it takes awhile for them to warm up to you and invite you places.  I’ve heard that once you’ve been invited, that means you’re in!  We shall see!  I’m looking forward to it!  My teacher told me, “We’ll have some snakes to eat.”  I was like excuse me?!?  I’m deathly afraid of snakes and I thought this was some crazy Korean thing!  I asked her again and she said snakes again.  “You know, we’ll have some drink and popcorn.”  Oh, she means SNACKS… ha!  It takes a few tries sometimes, but usually we’ll figure it out!

I had to kill some time tonight while I was waiting for my pictures to get developed.  I decided to check out a few of the cute shops they have on the main road.  I found this store  with way cute clothes, for pretty cheap!  I bought my first Korean article of clothing!  It’s like a little button up sweater.  (Side note: Females can’t wear tank tops or sleeveless shirts here.  Their shoulders must be covered.  If  they’re not, you are considered ‘slutty.’  That’s not good!)  It’s always a fun experience trying to find clothes to fit you here… God did not create us all the same!! J

I went to dinner at one of the professors’ houses tonight.  We had hamburgers and chips with cheese and salsa!!  It was fabulous!  They don’t eat much meat here and hamburgers are pretty hard to find!  I haven’t had meat for quite awhile like that, so I allowed myself to eat 2 of them… and it was great!  No guilt here! 

They had invited some of their students over for dinner as well so that they could practice their English with young, native speakers.  It was so refreshing to meet young people who could speak English clearly!  They explained a lot of the Korean culture to us!  Most of them are hoping to come to the states to finish college or go to Grad School.  2 of the guys will be going to Southern Nazarene University (SNU) in Oklahoma City, in August.  They are hoping to eventually make it to Seminary!  How crazy is that?!?  It was fun to get to talk them and experience the culture through their eyes! 

I feel like I’ve had a busy past couple of days!  I can feel it catching up to me!  I’m a little tired, but that’s okay!  Jet Lag is pretty much gone, I think!  No more severe headaches at 2.30pm everyday!  Thank you Jesus!!  That was rough for a bit!  I’ve almost completed my first week!

No comments:

Post a Comment