Monday, June 1, 2009

One Day Down, 364 More To Go

My 1st Day of School!!

Today was my first day of class!!  I was a little nervous b/c I didn’t really know what to expect.  I tried to do lesson plans for the day but it’s kind of hard where you don’t know where they are or what they’re doing!  I figured I’d just go with it!

I made sure I gave myself plenty of time to get to school!  (Side note: One of the guys in charge of our program showed me my trail to get to school on Friday, but he also showed 2 other teachers in the same trip.  I had a good idea where the general vicinity was, but I needed to practice!  Yesterday, one of the other new teachers and I rode the bus and practiced our route so we wouldn’t get lost!)  I made sure I sat on the right side of the bus so I could see all of my landmarks that I wrote down and took notes about!  I was feeling good.  I was about to hit the button on the bus but someone else did, so I just got up.  I stepped off the bus and realized I got off one stop to early!  (At this time I hit my head with my hand and thought ‘aiye!’  [that’s my new word right now for some reason… I think it’s b/c it sounds foreign… ha!])  I realized I could just walk down to the next stop b/c it wasn’t that far!  I have to go down stairs and under the road to get to the other side.  I found my school very easy after that!  I walked in and found my class and slipped on my slippers for the day. (You wear slippers in the class, not shoes.  Students and teachers both do this and all visitors do as well!)

It was great all the students just kept saying hello to me!  I introduced myself to each class and then showed them pictures of my family… they ate that up!  Some of them said, ‘Oh your parents are so young!’  (Thought you’d like to know that mom and dad!!)  My teacher is great!  Her English isn’t the best, but she has GREAT classroom management and I feel like she really knows how to use me!  I did a lot of pronunciation today.  I would say ‘bank’ and they would repeat it, like 3 times.  Then I would say it phonically b-a-n-k and they’d repeat!  4 classes and I was done by 12.10pm!  Classes are 40 minutes long and then they have a 10 minute break where the kids pretty much run wild!  During the break, I had multiple students come in and talk to me and ask me questions!  I had 2 boys take pictures with me on their cell phone!  It was so cute!!  (One of the other new teachers told me that like 5 students asked for his autograph… isn’t that hilarious?!?)  

It is so amazing to me that even though they’re from different cultures, kids will be kids!  They really don’t like to volunteer here, so I decided to give out stickers to the kids who do volunteer and give it a try!  It’s amazing how many more hands went up after I started passing them out!  When they were trying to figure out who would go first for a game, they did ‘rock, paper, scissors.’  Oh how I love that game… it solves all issues!  Oh and my name is ‘Becky Teacher.’  Even the teacher calls me that!  I love it!

I had to use my first ‘squatty potty’ today!  It’s pretty much a drain in the ground and you squat over it and relieve yourself!  I was a little nervous b/c I am the WORST squatter!  I can’t not get it on me… I know… super gross, but honest!  Thankfully I passed the test today!  I used 2 different bathrooms and both only had those.  Tomorrow I’m going to ask and see if they have regular toilets!  It’s going to be a LONG year if I have to use those everyday!  I usually use the restroom about 10-15 times per day… today I used it 2 times!  It’s all about the experience… right?!?

Lunch… now that was interesting!  Man it’s going to be a long year in that aspect!  I didn’t want to be rude, so I ate as much as I could stomach and then said I was full.  I was not full.  I did learn to bring snacks though!  I went to the store tonight and got plenty of stuff I can take to school and put in my closet!  That way I can eat what I can stomach and then go back to my room and find something else if I need to!!

I had to go to the staff meeting today.  I stood up in front of all of the teachers and told a little about myself.  The other teacher translated for me!  She had to tell me a couple of times to slow down… I really wasn’t talking that fast!  But I did say ‘Anyonghaseyo, Becky immeda!’  They were impressed and applauded for me right away! 

On Mondays, I’m finished teaching by 12.10pm, but I can’t leave until 5pm.  Today, I went to lunch and then hung out for a bit.  We went to the staff meeting and then I came back and played on facebook and caught up on emails! J  This is the perfect time to skype, so you late night owls let me know and we can set something up! 

My English teachers came in about 4.15pm and brought some snacks and drinks to share.  They are so cute!!  She brought me a bottle of something and I took a big swig of it.  Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was some type of corn water!  Oh my, it’s not the best, but totally the thought that counts!  She also brought these cookies and I ate quite a few!  I was starving!!  I’m sure they were like what is wrong with this girl?!?  I was so thankful that she brought snacks!

So, my first day was a success!  It’s so interesting how things are so different, but so the same as well!  It was comforting on the way home, I met up on the bus with my friend who had his first day too!  It was good 1. To talk to someone in English and 2. To process the day with!  It is now officially 12 months until I return!  My contract began today!  Doesn’t that sound so crazy?!?  I’m sure I’ll read over this in about 11 months and think this seemed just like yesterday!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment