Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Roll with the Punches...

Today was my first day to teach by myself!  I finished my lesson plans last night and was ready to go.  I got there early b/c I knew the teacher needed to make copies for me.  I was a little nervous b/c my teacher's book has more Korean then English.  It's really just a guessing game to me of what they are trying to tell me!  Sure makes me feel confident, that's for sure!  I ask my teacher to make copies and she tells me we won't have time do that activity.  That's fine, not a big deal.  Then I realize what I had planned is not what she had planned for me!  It was a bit frustrating, but I just have to roll with the punches!  She translates everything, which I don't think is always good for the students.  Then, she pretty much takes the lead teaching.  Which, I was sort of happy about b/c she knew what she wanted i didn't have to guess!  Then we have about 10 minutes left in class and she asked me if I had the survey she had asked me to create.  I told her that was the paper I asked her to copy earlier.  Oh miscommunication... it's a beautiful thing!  By the 3rd class, I had it all figured out.  Too bad the 3rd class was the last class!  I felt a bit defeated b/c i didn't feel like my teaching skills were up to par today.  However at the end, she said, "oh your teaching was great!"  I just had to laugh b/c it wasn't, but I guess our expectations are just different!  Whatever... that's how it goes and I'm okay with it!  I don't have to do lesson plans for another 2 weeks... can't beat that!!  I had my 3rd Graders for one class today... they are just too stinkin cute!  I love them! 

I decided that I needed to go to the Doctor day.  I've started to get a bit sick.  I have a really bad cough that I thought was getting better!  Nope, I've had a few coughing attacks today!  Figured I should be proactive and get on it now!  Especially since my job is pretty much talking the whole time.  Can't do much if I can't talk!  My experience at the Doctor was quite pleasant.  She speaks English so it was vey easy to talk to her!  I don’t have my insurance card right now, so I had to pay full price: 11,900 won (rough estimate $10)!  When I go in the next time with my card, I’ll get a 70% refund!  She put me on medicine, for 3 days.  I’m thinking it’s cough medicine and amoxicillin… at least that’s what it tastes like!  Again, I had to pay full price: 7,150 won (rough estimate $5.50).  I’ll get a refund from there too when I get my card!  I was in and out of the doctors office and pharmacy with my prescription in less than 30 minutes… show me where you can do that in the states!  The medicine is funny… it doesn’t come in bottles.  Each dosage is in its own pack.  I have 9 little baggies with 3 pills each.  And, my cough medicine comes in little individual packets that I tear open and drink out of the package!  Oh Korea… you are so entertaining!

I decided for dinner I would try something safe tonight!  I wasn’t feeling Korean food b/c today at lunch I was served little fish!  And by little fish I mean fish about the size pencil lead, dried out, but still had it’s eyes and off its bones in tact!  Not too appetizing!  I had to stop into our directors office so he could tell me how to take my medicine… I didn’t understand anything the pharmacist told me!  Then I decided tonight was going to be a shut-in night!  I ate dinner and watched a movie!  I figured I should rest and try to get better soon!  I mean, I totally have to rest up for my volleyball game tomorrow! J

Oh, I almost forgot.  Funny Story:  So every day at least one time a day, while I'm walking up the stairs from using the restroom multiple times a day, I trip going up the stairs.  Sometimes are worse then others.  It's definitely noticable though! I figured out today why I do it.  One of the steps is higher then the rest.  I was walking down the stairs and I realized that one step was not like the rest!  Good to know I haven't completely lost it!

I will leave you with an encouraging thought that a friend shared with me today:

It is awesome to think that even a little bit of God’s grace and love is more than enough for everything we need.  He'll never place you anywhere out of His reach; all we have to do is trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment